EpiPen Prices and Food Allergies

     Without insurance, EpiPen prices range from $650-$750 for a pack of brand name auto injectors, however the cost of generic epinephrine is incredibly inexpensive. Even with some high deductible insurance plans, EpiPens are not always covered. For a lifesaving medication, this is an incredibly steep cost and there should be no barriers to people accessing this medication. As someone who (very unfortunately) is allergic to nuts, I have experienced first hand how these high prices effect families even coming from a very fortunate position on my parent's health insurance. EpiPens also expire yearly, so the high cost is something that has to be paid frequently.

    Personally, I have had a number of (not great) experiences with the US health system and my own food allergy. As I mentioned, since EpiPens are so expensive, I am not very inclined to get them refilled as frequently as I should. In March of 2020, I accidentally ingested a nut forcing me to use my EpiPen for the first time. However, since I had not gotten them refilled due to the cost, they were all expired and I had to go to the ER after using the EpiPen. While I haven't had extremely negative experiences with the US health system coming from a place of privilege, it goes to show that there are many barriers affecting access to health care that can effect anyone whether they be bigger or smaller issues. 

    

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Rural Healthcare Access

These Kids Are Too Expensive

What even is insurance?