Providing (un)Care

Providing (un)Care

By Jenna Schwartz

    In healthcare today I struggle with some treatment decisions made for patients. What really concerns me is providing care that only covers up the real problem. While this way of treatment can improve the quality of life of a lot of patients, the real root issue can become much worse. For example, in my life, I have had many GI issues including vomiting, diarrhea, and nausea after eating. I have been to many physicians who just give me medication to stop the diarrhea instead of looking further into what may be going on. I try to advocate for myself and ask for further investigation, but there always seems to be a reason why they don't. This has been going on for years now. I finally decided to make an appointment at Michigan Medicine since I have been having significant blood in my stool. I now have an abdominal X-ray, stool sample, and colonoscopy set up to figure out what is going on. My concern is that while I am covering up my symptoms, something worse is going on underneath.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Rural Healthcare Access

These Kids Are Too Expensive

What even is insurance?